(approx. 20-25 minutes walking)
- When in the Bus Station, head towards the St Andrew’s Square Exit – you’ll need to go up escalators or an elevator to exit. Once outside, turn left and walk straight on (past ‘Harvey Nicholls’ and ‘McDonalds’) onto Princes St! (You’ll now you are there as you’ll be able to see the Castle and Scott Monument!)
- Take a right, then an immediate left onto Waverley Bridge (where the train station is).
- Walk to the end of Waverley Bridge to the small roundabout (aka traffic circle); walk straight across and go up Cockburn Street (pro-tip – it’s pronounced KOH-BURN!).
It’s a bit of a hill (welcome to Edinburgh) but that is the hard part over!
- At the top of Cockburn St you are on the Royal Mile (real name is High Street)! Turn right, onto the Royal Mile and walk up the street, past Starbucks and Garfunkels on the left.
- Continue straight for a few minutes, past St Giles Cathedral on the left until you get to the next junction – turn left onto George IV Bridge and immediately right onto a downhill street called Victoria Street (next to Pizza Express).
- Head down Victoria Street – also known as ‘Diagon Alley!’ You’ll know it for all the colourful shops. At the bottom, you’ll be in the famous Grassmarket. Turn left here and you’ll see Kick Ass Greyfriars at the bottom Candlemaker Row!
- Headed to Kick Ass Grassmarket? Instead, turn right and walk through the Grassmarket towards the Castle, past Apex Hotels and Mary’s Milk Bar. You’ll see the hostel on the left, opposite Fiddlers Arms pub!